What is GLA:D?
GLA:D is an 8-week education and exercise program developed in Denmark for those with stiff and/or painful knees and/or hips or those with knee and/or hip osteoarthritis. GLA:D is being launched across Canada as GLA:D™ Canada. Our innovative care strategies at Expert Physio Plus will help you find quick relief.
What should I expect when participating in the GLA:D Canada program?
Research from GLA:D in Denmark shows participants report less pain, reduced use of painkillers, fewer individuals on sick leave, and being more physically active.
What does the GLA:D Canada program consist of?
GLA:D Canada program consists of two parts:
- 2 education sessions.
- 12 Neuromuscular exercise sessions.
A GLA:D Canada certified Therapist must provide sessions.
At Expert Physio Plus, we have GLA:D Canada-certified physiotherapists who will
teach you about:
- What osteoarthritis is; its risk factors and symptoms.
- Currently available treatment for osteoarthritis
- How to self-manage your symptoms
- Why and how exercise can help with your osteoarthritis.
- How to cope with the difficulties of daily activities associated with osteoarthritis.
The 12 Neuromuscular exercise sessions will be two times weekly for six weeks. You will:
- Learn how to control your movements and proper posture.
- Build muscular strength through functional exercise.
- Learn how to apply these exercises to everyday activities.
- A GLA:D Canada certified Therapist must provide sessions.
(GLA:D Canada certified physiotherapist is available at Expert Physio Plus).
- Most extended health insurance programs cover the cost of the program.
Visit gladcanada.ca for more information.