What is the GLA:D Program?
GLA:D is an 8-week education and exercise program developed in Denmark for those with stiff and /or painful knees and /or hips or those with knee and hip osteoarthritis. GLA:D is being launched across Canada as GLA:D™ Canada.
What should I expect when participating in the GLA:D Canada program?
Research from GLA:D in Denmark shows participants report less pain, reduced use of painkillers, fewer individuals on sick leave, and being more physically active.
What does the GLA:D Canada program consist of?
GLA:D Canada program consists of two parts:
- Two education sessions.
- 12 Neuromuscular exercise sessions.
A GLA:D Canada certified Therapist must provide sessions.
At Expert Physio Plus, we have GLA:D Canada certified physiotherapists who will teach you about:
- What are osteoarthritis risk factors and symptoms?
- Currently available treatment for osteoarthritis
- How to self-manage your symptoms
- Why and how exercise can help with your osteoarthritis.
- How to cope with the difficulties of daily activities associated with osteoarthritis.
The 12 Neuromuscular exercise sessions will be two times weekly for six weeks. You will:
- Learn how to control your movements and proper posture.
- Build muscular strength through functional exercise.
- Finally, learn how to apply these exercises to everyday activities.
We are a certified provider of the GLA:D Canada program for hip and knee osteoarthritis. Please request an appointment with us today to learn more about this program.
Most extended health insurance programs cover the cost of the program.
Visit gladcanada.ca for more information.